Barasat Municipality - at a glance
Barasat Municipality was entablished on 1st April 1869, but up to – 1882, it had not any independent existence, like other offices it was controlled by Magistrate Office. During that time there was no Chairman of the municipality; Magistrate was the Controller of municipality. Later on after 1882 Barasat Municipality had got its own formation as an autonomous body and became local government. Barasat Association, a citizens organization, had help Barasat Municipality by donating land for the construction of municipal building.
Total Barasat municipal area divided into 29 nos. of Mouzas. Previously, there were no wards and later there were 18 wards under Barasat Municipality. Later on after amalgamating surrounding Panchayets within Barasat Municipality in 1995 and then after, at present Barasat Municipality has 35 nos.wards.
Geographical Boundary


North :Khilkapur Paschim Panchayat
South :Kemia Khamarpara Panchayat / Madhyamgram Municipality
East:Kaira Kadambagachi Panchayat
West:Ichapur Nilganj Panchayat
Area:34.50 sq. km
No of Wards:32
Population:2, 78,435 (approx at present)
Location-Latitude : 88.4829620 , Longitude : 22.7070020
Area, Population and it's projection to 2025

Area (sq. km.) Population (2001) Population
(Projected on 2025)
Density of Population (Person / Sq.km.)
34.5 2,31,521 4,34,101 12583
Municipal Map
Contact Details

Call : 033-2552-3211
        033-2562-3535

FAX : 033-2562-6900

Email : info@barasatmunicipality.org

Citizen's Forum
Picture Gallery